Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bye

Bye week!

After last Saturday's thriller, this weekend "off" could not have come at a better time for the team or for me.

Jared Crick out for the rest of the season.

The shock of the news has shaken Carl's defensive strategy and NFL recruits' excitement.  Our standout player is...well...out.  As one of the hardest working players on the Husker squad, he must be devastated.  I feel awful for the young man who came back his senior year to finish it out with his team despite his strong prospects to go pro after last year.  The next 6 months will be tough as he struggles to heal in hopes of making it to the Combine.  The team is busy reworking their approach during the week off in preparation for our road game against Minnesota next week.

For me, the week off afforded me an opportunity to enjoy one of the most beautiful fall weekends I have ever seen in Chicago and to catch up on my life in Chicago.  On Thursday night, instead of packing, I went to Harris Theater for the fall season opener of Hubbard Street, my favorite modern dance company in Chicago.  I met and spoke to Rahm Emanuel (!!!) after I realized he was in line for drinks behind me at intermission.  Twyla Tharp walked out on stage after her choreography was presented, and I almost died!  On Friday, drinks with a customer and a partner at Big Bar followed by dinner with two of my best friends at District started the weekend off just right. 

I slept in on Saturday until 9:30 (yes!!!!) and had an incredible workout with my trainer Dan at David Barton Gym.  He was determined to make it tough on me having just finished the Urbanathalon (www.menshealthurbanathlon.com/chicago-course); apparently, since he had jumped over cars and climbed walls this morning, I was supposed to feel like I had as well.nd I left inspired to keep my workout going.  7 miles of walking through downtown Chicago reminded me how much I love my home.  Absense does make the heart grow fonder, as I found myself falling in love with the parks, trees, and skyscrapers that surround me every day. 

I was determined to make my day "off" productive by running every errand possible:  farmers market on Division, two trips to the dry cleaner, Apple store, Sports Authority, CVS, and the grocery store all before 3:00!  My kitchen never looked better with all of the fresh produce!

I met my Postal Service delivery woman for the first time in between my dry cleaning runs, and she stopped me to shake the hand of the "local celebrity"...ha!  She saw me in the Red Eye two weeks ago and recognized my name immediately since she has been delivering my mail for years.  Chicago really is a small city afterall.

Dinner at Pegasus tonight with more friends, a stop at InnJoy in Wicker Park for some dancing and Emmits for some drinks, and a lazy day on the couch tomorrow watching football, and I will have made the most of this weekend off.  Even helped to use up a few Groupons since this is my only weekend in town for a while!

The incredible matchups this weekend between Michigan State & Michigan, Oklahoma State & Texas, Texas A&M & Baylor, and ASU & Oregon are feeding my football frenzy.  Kind of nice to catch up on what else is happening in the world of football outside of Nebraska football (as if there was really anything else). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment