Monday, October 10, 2011

Ohio State

Did that really just happen?!?!?  Greatest. Comeback. Ever.

The Huskers’ 34-27 win over Ohio State in our first B1G home game ever was one for the ages.  Amidst a steady rain and eerie night sky, Memorial Stadium came alive in the third quarter when the Huskers overcame 27-6 deficit to win against one of the most storied programs in B1G history on our first Homecoming game in the new conference.

My day started early when I hit the road to Lincoln before noon for the 7:00 PM kickoff.  A few pitchers of Elk Creek Water, a Nebraska classic, at Sandy’s with friends Ranee and Jack later, I headed to Embassy Suites to meet my visiting friends from Ohio State who made the trip to Lincoln for the first time ever.  In typical Nebraska fashion, I realized within minutes of entering the patio that my best friend was on her way into the Embassy tailgate as well.  Only in Nebraska. J







Nebraska fans were on stage for the first time in the B1G.  Our first opportunity to show the conference and Ohio State fans what Nebraskans are all about:  dignity, respect, passion and sportsmanship.  When I met up with my friends at Embassy, I was thrilled to hear that they had been treated like old friends and were welcomed to Lincoln with open arms.  This is our tradition, and I was anxious to help extend it to our new friends from Ohio.

I reconnected with my friend, Kristi, at Bison Witches, one of my favorite college haunts and Kristi’s place of employment along with several other Alpha Phi sisters our Junior and Senior years in college.  We celebrated her recent engagement, and I felt like I was a student all over again scooping up queso and downing beers. 



A stop by 11th & N and my family’s Champions Club tailgates led me to reconnect with Colby, my Chicago Nebraska buddy, and I headed into the rain-soaked South Stadium for kickoff to one of the most memorable games I have ever seen on Tom Osborne field.






The rain did not let up, and neither did Ohio State’s offense.  They ran all over us the first half.  A defeated team and crowd silenced as we headed into Homecoming halftime.  At the Champions Club family tailgate, there was little to say.  We were stunned.  The Huskers were down and out to what was supposed to be a down and out Ohio State team.  My friends from Ohio State stopped by, and it was all I could do not to offer an early congratulations. Ponchos soaked, we headed back into the stadium for the most prolific 30 minutes of football the Huskers have ever seen.

We were down 27-6 with little hope of turning the tide on this monsoon of a game.  Lavonte David’s frustration turned into inspiration.  The strip, forced fumble and recovery started a march led by Taylor Martinez and Rex Burkhead that made Nebraska look like the top-10 ranked team from the beginning of the season and not the defeated team from Camp Randall and the first 33 minutes of the game.  Someone flipped a switch, and the crowd was delirious.  My heart swelled with excitement.  I have NEVER heard Memorial Stadium more alive or louder!!!  Didn’t hurt that Braxton Miller left the game the very next drive after the turnover, exposing Joe Bauserman’s inexperience.  We were on fire, and the sparks just kept coming.  Even the hot dog man lit up our night: glow in the dark rings!  My favorite upcoming player, Stanley Jean-Baptiste, stretched out for a beautiful pick against Bauserman that reminded Husker fans why he started as a Wide Receiver before moving to Cornerback in a much needed move just this year.  It was pure magic.





I have never had more fun in the rain.  With our largest group of recruits, former superstars including Suh and Raiola in the crowd, and Nebraska on stage, we lit up the night sky in a perfect 27 minutes of true Husker football.  Confidence restored and the pressure lifted if even for the night, this game will go down as one of the most memorable I have ever witnessed in my lifetime.

What a way to head into our bye week and start preparing for the rest of the season.  Looking forward to a week off to recover from the rollercoaster of this week’s game.  I’m sure Bo and crew are as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment