Sunday, January 1, 2012

Capital One Bowl Pre-Game

Capital One Bowl = THRILLED.

When the bowl schedule came out, my sister, Amy, and I had already researched flights and hotels knowing that Orlando was our likely destination. Within 24 hours, I had purchased our pair of tickets from the University pool to lock it in.  Thanks to our Badger friends (they were friends that day at least!) winning the most INCREDIBLE first B1G championship game the week prior, our fate was sealed as the 3rd best team in the B1G. 


While I was proud to make it to Orlando, the news of facing Spurrier and the South Carolina Gamecocks brought both excitement and fear at the same time.  10-2 with losses to only Auburn and Arkansas, the SEC’s 3rd best team is pretty good.  As of this post, Vegas has South Carolina winning by 2 points; it is basically a draw.  So, I’m expecting it to be a close and exciting game.

Within days, Travis Morgan, Sports Director at KMTV Channel 3 Omaha, contacted me about trying to get me on the field with a Press Pass.  I didn’t think too much about it, as getting a Press Pass to a major bowl seemed like a long shot.  Low and behold, Travis called me this past Wednesday while I was working from my Grandmother’s den in Omaha: HE GOT ME A PRESS PASS!  Giddy doesn’t even describe it.  I have never attended a Bowl Game, and now my first one will be on the sidelines with Travis, the guru of Husker football.  How did I get so lucky?

The predicament that followed stumped me for two whole days:  what do I do about my sister and the ticket I bought for the game?  On one hand, I could not imagine leaving her or not going to the game with her.  This would be our third game together this season after Penn State and Michigan, two of the most memorable experiences of my season.  On the other hand, I could not imagine giving up the opportunity of a lifetime to stand sideline to watch my Huskers attempt our first B1G Bowl Game victory. 

I should have known my answer would come surrounded by the brilliant women in my family. J  At my mom’s 60th birthday lunch on Friday, my Aunt Deb suggested the solution of the century:  Shannon, my little sister, should just take that second ticket.  While Deb was joking, I saw the light.  This was a perfect idea!  Within minutes, we had it all worked out.  After lunch, I booked Shannon’s flight from Omaha through Chicago and rebooked mine so that we could fly into Orlando together.  With four of the six Otterson children all headed to Orlando, I decided this was going to be one of the best trips ever.

New Years morning came all too soon!  My excitement grew riding the El from my house to Midway to meet Shannon.  A few hours of rest (on Shannon’s shoulder) and half of a movie on the plane later, we met up with Amy, cabbed it downtown, and checked into the Sheraton Downtown Orlando for some much needed dinner and football prep at the hotel sports bar.

Shannon on the Orlando Airport Tram with her "Nebraska Huskers" sunglasses.


On the Tram.



My heart is racing thinking about stepping onto the Citrus Bowl field and looking up at the 70,000 fans.  I am guessing there will be a few more in scarlet and cream than garnet and black, although it will be difficult to differentiate the two on television and from the field.

Here’s to hoping the Blackshirts show up tomorrow and bring home our 10th win of the season tomorrow.  GO BIG RED!

No comments:

Post a Comment