Sunday, January 1, 2012

Sports Sound-Off

Note from Kristen:  My sincere apologies for the month-long lapse in blogging!  I know, I know, I let you down.  After returning to Chicago from the Iowa game, my body went into a state of shock returning to life at home.  12 weeks on the road over 1 weekends left me longing for normalcy and my friends and lifestyle in Chicago.  In true fashion, I spent the last 5 weeks living it up in Chicago:  a welcome home party, nonstop holiday parties, extra workouts with my trainer at the gym, and late nights at the office to “catch up” after three months out. 

I also spent a full week in Omaha with my family over Christmas, my best friend’s birthday, and my mom’s 60th birthday.  I’m now back in the game (literally) and will start blogging regularly again.  Thanks for staying tuned. J

When Travis Morgan, Sports Director at KMTV Channel 3 Omaha, asked me to be a guest on his Sunday Night “Sports Sound-Off” show at the Denver airport on our way to Wyoming in September, I thought for sure he was joking. 

On Sunday, November 27, after the last game of the regular season against Iowa, I showed up at KMTV studios at 10:45 PM on Mockingbird Lane for the first time since high school when I was a DECA volunteer for the MDA Telethon.  The studio was quiet minus the 10:00 news staff and the Sports Sound-Off crew led by Travis.  Normally airing at 10:30 PM after the news, the shows were running late due to OT in the NFL game that night, so it aired around 11:25 instead. 

For those who have never seen Sports Sound-Off, the show is divided into 3-4 segments with live callers calling in to share comments and create dialog about the game and the week’s events.  Sports Director Travis is joined by his co-host, former Husker player Clester Johnson, and the two lead the dialogue throughout the show. 



As I sat in Travis’s office and read the “In the Deed, The Glory” sign on the wall pre-show, I was stoked.  How cool to be at the station, hanging out with the Sports Director, and talking football!  Forget about the fact that I was about to go on the show, I was just geeked out to be surrounded  by game tape, season posters, and Press Pass lanyards galore.  As Travis walked me to the set, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

I was the third segment feature of three during my show, and Travis really built it up!  It was a surreal experience to hear two of my favorite sports personalities talking about me and my experience.  They discussed the Heroes Trophy and Ndamukong Suh’s heightened “bully” status in the NFL after slamming Andy Dalton’s head into the ground several times (http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp11/story/_/id/6870889/ndamukong-suh-detroit-lions-fined-20k-slamming-andy-dalton-cincinnati-bengals) in the first two segments.  I sat behind the camera and watched until it was my turn in the hot seat.

The interview went fast.  Before I knew it, it was over, and I had no idea whether I had made any sense at all.  We talked about my perspective on the season and being a part of the B1G:  the good, the bad, and the ugly.  What a fun interview!  Hang tight:  the video coming this week!

I hung out with the crew for almost an hour after the show just talking shop.  One theme resounded:  the gents were pretty impressed that this little lady knew her football.  Ah, Nebraska, you have taught me well. J

Looking forward to impressing Travis yet again at the Capital One Bowl in January!

No comments:

Post a Comment