Monday, September 5, 2011

Tennesee at Chattanooga: It Begins

The electricity of Nebraska's season opener at home carried to the skies as lightning lit up rain-filled clouds as dawn broke over Memorial Stadium.  "Can You Feel It" blared on the loudspeakers.  Yes, I felt it.

Thanks to the hospitality of my college roommate and good friend, Patti, I woke up a mere 2 blocks from the stadium to tailgates, fight songs, and anxious fans dressed head to toe in Husker Red.  It was nostalgic listening to Lee Corso's voice booming on the tube as I texted friends and family to coordinate tailgating plans; felt like I was transported 10 years back to freshman year on campus.  Instead of grabbing the beer in the fridge and heading to a frat party across the street, though, I had breakfast and met my mom for the short journey across the bridge to the Champions Club, my more mature tailgating spot.  The painted chests and screaming college kids on Charleston Street made me smile;  some things never change no matter how much time passes.

Crossing the bridge to Memorial Stadium

My family at the tailgate

Our delicious spread.  Gotta fuel up to cheer as loud as a Nebraska fan.


Skies clear for our tailgate at Champions Club
 
Headed into the West Stadium with sister, Aunt and Mom

My sister sporting her new Husker shades!

The band, the cheerleaders, and the Scarlets dance team were in full effect despite the overcast weather.  It was incredible to have a front row view to the fanfare just outside the stadium!





Having scored a ticket in the 27th row near the 50 yard line of the West Stadium, it was by far the best seat in the house.  I quickly made friends with my neighbors and watched the stadium erupt as the unveiled this season's tunnel walk, a spin on the Big Red entering the Big Ten. 





The game itself was full of ups and downs.  A fullback carry? I-formation lineup?  Martinez runs?  Yes, my friends, the Nebraska option is back!!!  Unfortunately, this is not our beloved option of the '90s, nor is it ready for Big 10 prime time - YET.  As Offensive Coordinator Tim Beck unveiled the new and apparently improved offense, Nebraska fans smiled and grimaced as we struggled to execute.  A young offensive line and inexperienced receivers and runningbacks led to inconsistencies across the board, and Martinez's nerves in the first half led to scrambling and confused plays.  There is promise there, but whether that promise will turn into offensive strength remains to be seen.  To live up to our hype this season, though, it will need to.  We like to release our balloons early!


Our Defense was a bit more consistent, but our hyped secondary needs better execution.  170 passing yards allowed in a non-conference game just won't cut it when we play experienced teams like Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State and Iowa.  We absolutely have to do a better job at controlling the clock and the ball, too.  2 Turnovers and 13 first downs allowed is poor execution by our Blackshirts.  Carl and crew have some work to do, and little time to do it.  One month until we face the Badgers.  No room for error.

Brett Maher was the golden child of the day.  Incredible performance by the Junior to fill the shoes of Alex Henery, NCAA's most accurate kicker EVER.  Proud to see him in the NFL now!

Time to take a cue from our legacy and start becoming a powerhouse the only way Nebraskans know how:  hard work.  The Osborne complex and Husker Nation Pavilion will be busy this week if our boys know what is good for them.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=312460158

A highlight of the Big 10 entrance came at the half when Barry Alvarez warmly welcome the Big Red to the Big 10 in true Nebraska style; he has not forgotten his roots. 

As I exited the stadium and headed toward I-80 to Omaha, I noticed the "Husker Nation" sign above Cornhusker Road and the flags flying on all of the red, white and black cars (yes, Nebraska spirits spills over to accessorizing cars, too!). 



There is something truly special about our "Husker Nation", and I realized there is something even more special about this journey for me:  reconnecting with my Nebraska roots and pride.  My commitment to this journey has already allowed me to make a commitment to my friends and family in Nebraska in the process.  Reconnecting with my Alpha Phi sorority sisters at Laura's engagement party on Friday, my college roommate Friday night, my middle school friend Lindsey and her family Saturday at a tailgate, and my family Saturday pre-game/post-game/all day Sunday was just the start. The next 3 weeks will land me back in Nebraska where I will celebrate a friend's engagement, another friend's daughter, and another friend's wedding.  All while supporting the Huskers' journey through the Big 10, a journey that is already taking on meaning as a personal journey.

Looking forward to an improved team against Fresno State in just 6 days.  Go Big Red!

1 comment:

  1. Lovin' the first game post! Keep it up with the pics. Can't have enough! Maybe I will make a guest appearance at some point :)

    ReplyDelete