Sunday, September 18, 2011

Washington

The pressure this week was almost bigger than joining the Big 10 itself.  "Third time's a charm", "three and out", and our final chance at home to prove to Nebraska Nation that this team DOES have talent and the ability to execute.

We started getting ready as early as Thursday night when I decorated the cupcakes my sister baked for our tailgate.  My decor was in need of some practice, much like our team this week.


The ride from Omaha to Lincoln this week was a well-traveled one, as I spent the previous 3 days making the same trip from my parents' house in Omaha to UNL's campus for my semi-annual fall meeting with Cather Circle, a women's mentoring program with which I have been involved for 10 years this fall.  I was once again inspired by the intelligence, depth, and passion of the 100+ women in our circle.  There really is NO place like Nebraska.  The meeting only amplified the pressure, though, as I watched the buzz develop firsthand hanging out at the Wick Alumni Center all week. 


Mom, Dad and I headed down to Lincoln, parked on Fraternity row (brought back many memories of selling that lot at Alpha Phi!), and walked across campus (past the Huskies trailer) and over to Champions Club to meet the rest of the family.  Our French native Jessica even made homemade crepes with Nutella!





My little sister and I trekked up the 73 rows in the South Stadium for the third home game this season before we take our show on the road.  Was incredible to have the student section to our right; I found myself cheering, clapping, and singing right along with all of them! "Husker!, Power!"  "N-E-B-R-A-S-K-A!" "Can You Feel It?" "There is no place like Nebraska, Good ole Nebraska U!" 



And the costumes!  Even the Valentinos pizza vendor was wearing a decked out hat. 


The game started with a bang!  Two plays, and we lit up the rainy sky with the traditional balloons.  Someone even brought back the balloon string made popular last year.  Of course, it was in the student section.



After the turnover in the third quarter, a spark lit up the dreary, drizzly afternoon sky, and the Huskers reminded all of us of the powerhouse they can be.  3 and outs on D, charging down the field for TDs, and a LOUD stadium of support brought me back to the 90s when we used to run over (literally) opponents like they were high school teams.  Unfortunately, the execution was short lived, as we fell apart a bit in the 4th.  But, for the fans who were waiting for a glimpse of excellence to live up to the pressure, it was finally there.

Next week, I travel to the great state of Wyoming with my parents where we have one opportunity to perfect our road game before the mighty Badgers at Camp Randall on October 2nd.  If the pressure wasn't enough this week, our boys are in for the ride of their lives in just 13 days.  Go Big Red!

No comments:

Post a Comment